Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cake Pops??? Ummm No...Cake Disaster!!!

Cake Pops have become really popular recently and since I like anything new, I figured, why not try to make them myself.  Bad Idea!!!! How about I should have done a little bit more research before tackling cake pops....and by research I mean trial and error.  But no....I'm big and bad and confident in my ability to cook and try new recipes so I thought I had this in the bag.

A couple of blogs ago I wrote about a cook off that my cousin and I did for Easter.  I also talked about how I lost the cook off because of many failures.  Well...dessert was one of those failures.  I decided to do cake pops for dessert and unfortunately, EVERYTHING WENT WRONG! I want share my errors with you so that you don't repeat my mistakes. 

Ingredients:
1 box of cake mix (any flavor)
1 can of icing or other wet ingredient (such as whipping cream)
Lollipop sticks
Coating (chocolate, white chocolate, etc.)
Photo Courtesy of www.bakerella.com





Instructions:
1. Bake cake according to directions
2. Let cool and then crumble
3. Mix in icing or wet ingredient until crumbles stick together
4. Insert stick and put in freezer for at least 20 -30 minutes
5. Dip cake pop in melted chocolate
6. Decorate as desired

My Mistakes:
  • I did not put my cake balls set in the freezer; I thought that putting them in the refrigerator longer would be an even substitute.
  • I did not put enough of the wet binder when rolling the balls
  • I used almond bark which is heavier than candy melts
  • I melted my almond bark in the microwave and should have used a double broiler (thinner coating that is not too heavy)
So what happened:
  • When I tried to dip my cake pops in the chocolate and pull them out, the stick came out
  • Because I melted my chocolate in the microwave it seized up and became really thick
  • My cake pop crumbled when I tried to insert the stick because I did not use enough of the whipping cream to bind the pop together.  In addition, not allowing it freeze and set up also made it crumble.
Photo Courtesy of www.bakerella.com

Needless to say....my first attempt was a major FAILURE!!! and looked nothing like the picture to the left.  Luckily for me, I have friends in high places.  You Tube...LOL.  Below is a video on the correct way to make cake pops courtesy of Bakerella.  In addition, she has a Cake Pop Recipe Book that I have had the privilege to flip through and it is AMAZING.  My copy is on it's way soon.







Please take a look at the video to the right to learn all that you need to know about Cake Pops.  Hopefully, you have better success than I did.

6 comments:

  1. Tracy,

    Those cake pops look so yummy! So how many cake pops equal one serving size, I could eat a dozen...they kinda look like pretty munchkins on a stick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think that 3 is a perfect serving; however I agree with you wanting to eat a dozen. It also depends on how large the cake pops are. From 1 cake box, I made 20 but my pops were a little large.

    I hope you get to try some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to try making cake pops! Thanks for your trial and error tips! I'm waiting for the next occasion to start cooking some up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great for parties, especially for kids. Not sure how you melted your chocolate in the microwave, but if you do in 30 second increments and stir in between, it will get thinner and thinner - and of course the chocolate melts are better from like a cake and candy supply store. Good luck on your cooking adventures. I make cakes, maybe I'll share in my next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracy, thank you for sharing information on the cake pops. I recently tried one at a bridal shower and they were so good and neatly wrapped. I've been wanting to try them ever since. Now I will!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I apologize to all for responding so late...I think I dreamt that I responded :-).

    @cklomasney - I'm glad that you read this blog...trust me, you don't want to make the mistakes that I made.

    @terri - I don't know what I did, but I screwed it up royally. I plan to redeem myself very soon. I will be sure to check out your blog.

    @kelly - they are the next best thing besides cupcakes. Good luck making your own.

    ReplyDelete