Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Yes it's Chili...but it's a Summer Chili

So normally I write about recipes that I have tried and modified. Well not today.... Today, I want to share a recipe that a friend of mine gave me years ago that is very healthy and light and even though it's a chili, it's not just a winter chili. Actually, I would probably say that it is more of a spring/summer chili. (assuming that you can put a season on chili...LOL). Anyways, I wanted to pass this on to you so that you can enjoy it also.  It is also very flavorable and a 30 minute meal so no excuses that a good and healthy meal takes to much time.  For all of the busy men and women, this is one recipe that should definitely be a staple meal.

Below are the ingredients:
  • 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
  • Chi-Chi's Medium Salsa
  • Fresh Gourmet Artichoke & Garlic Salsa
  • 1 Can of White Northern Beans
  • Shredded Monterrey or Pepper Jack Cheese
  • Tostitos






Recipe:
  • Brown Turkey and Drain Excess Fat
  • Add Chi-Chi's and Fresh Gourmet's Salsa
  • Rinse and Drain Beans and add to other ingredients
  • Simmer 15-20 minutes
  • Sprinkle Cheese on Top
  • Enjoy with Tostitos Scoops


7 comments:

  1. Ooooooo! This receipe sounds like it's right up my alley. I showed my fiance and his eyes got wide. He's the cook between the two so he's going to try to copy the receipe using fresh tomatoes, artichokes and garlic. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound light enough for the summer. I think I will try. Been doing without the beef and pork since Lent, so I guess I can have some chilli after all. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. Do you think it would work in the crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @nbertges....It is really good. I think it would probably be even better with fresh tomatoes, artichokes and garlic. If he's tries it, let me know how it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri - I do think that this would be a great way to ease back into eating meat. Turkey is so much leaner. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather - I think it would definitely work in the crock pot. I would probably brown and drain the meat first. Then dump all the ingredients in and let it cook on low for a few hours. I may try it soon so that I can see exactly how long it should cook for. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy- I love the idea of using turkey instead of ground beef! Although I think ground beef adds more flavor unfortunatley it is not as healthy (figures...haha). Any suggestions on what seasonings to use to add flavor to turkey?

    ReplyDelete